My photo
I love Jesus Christ and devote my life to following Him. I'm madly in love with my husband jon. I'm the mother of the most perfect babies in the world. I'm a Senior Sales Associate at my beloved Anthropologie. I'm a reader, thinker, lover, believer and traveler. I'd trade in the chicago skyline for the pacific coast any day. i love a good vino. i love my books. i'm creative as creativity goes but always wanted to be a painter. i prefer letter writing over emailing. And I always try to be a kinder person.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mourning the loss of friendships





Sometimes friendships are necessary to lose. It sounds crazy, I know...but when you come to a point where life pulls you in one direction and friends (even ones you love) go in another, it's necessary to choose. I've had to do this is my life.

It felt like a breakup. A bad bad breakup. I loved these friends, but it was in my best interest to move in the opposite direction, and if I hadn't, I don't think I'd be married to the love of my life with two unbelievable children right now. Life handed me a choice, and I chose the path less traveled. It was painful, devastating at times, but I don't have a single regret.

Fast forward ten years and the social network boom has made it possible to reconnect...see where our chosen roads have taken us...learn little things about each other all over again. There is an element of intense satisfaction in finding these long lost friends...and then there's the mourning. Watching them in relationships, wondering who they are now, seeing them get married, all those familiar faces...and not being a part of it. Satisfaction in seeing them so happy, and a mourning that you have lost your place in sharing that overwhelming joy with them. It's bittersweet for sure.

It's not likely that those friends will ever read this, but if they do...I'd want them to know that I still have love in my heart for them. I still want to see the best for them, in every area of their life, at every age. I'd want them to know how much I miss them and the good times we had...because there were so many.

1 comment:

Kathy Nash said...

I can relate to this for sure!! Well written!